Skip to main content

Featured

Simple Curb Appeal with New Outdoor Lighting

Okay, you guys, this project was on the "One day I'll get around to this" list, but I was laying in bed, putzing on my phone, and I happened to see this BRAND NEW Darby Home Dorchester Light Fixture for only $10 on Facebook Marketplace. Who can say no to saving $195?! As soon as I got up, I measured the size and messaged the seller. Out old outdoor light was fine. I guess. It was too small, not my style, and dated. Really, I wanted something pretty that would make a statement. If you're selecting a outdoor wall-mounted light fixture, pick one that is 1/3 to 1/4 of the size of your door. Yes, it will seem huge, but this is what will make your fixture pop, even from afar. Many houses I see have fixtures that look so tiny, and that is because people are trying to save money and don't measure properly. If you're not sure whether to replace a fixture yourself or hire a pro, Chelsea over at Two Twenty One goes through the general process here . When installin

Five Friday Finds: Small Space Storage Edition

I really can't stop talking about my small house, can I?

In my efforts to be more mindful of my purchases and of my space, I've spent a lot of time checking out wall solutions and multi-functional furniture. After all, a one more spot to stuff winter blankets or hide a litter box in plain sight can go a long way in keeping any home neat. This roundup of simple, space-saving solutions features some of my favorite choices for keeping the mess at bay.

1. Ikea's FRIHETEN Sleeper Sectional

I have to admit something. Our friends owned this couch first. The bought it, pulled out the bed, and I was done. I could lounge on that thing all day every day. I swear. Ikea couches can be the best for lounging.

When I realized the ottoman of the Friheten has hidden storage underneath, I just about died. This couch is attractive, super-duper-crazy functional, and reasonably priced. I mean, for $600 you get a pull-out bed, three or four feet of deep storage, and space to seat a handful of friends. The ottoman can also be placed on either side, making it customizable, which I adore. What's more is that the bed is easy to move. It's not a cumbersome mess like most sleeper sofas. It rolls out in one smooth motion. No fighting required.
The only thing I wish is that the cover is removable like our KARLSTAD sofa (can you believe they no longer sell it in isunda gray?), but it's been easy enough to clean so far. So if you need a couch that pulls double-duty, is reasonably priced, is attractive, and can double as a bed, this is for you.

UPDATE: You can find covers online or make your own, but you can't remove the original fabric.

2. Guitar Wall Mounts

DH has a few instruments. I admire his love of music, but I don't enjoy the dust bunnies that gather
behind the guitar cases on the floor. It's a small thing, but it's obnoxious and one of the reasons I am obsessed with keeping the floor clear. If I can hang or mount it on the wall, I do. The easier it is to clean the floors, the better.


When we moved into our house I wanted the guitars off the living room floor, but DH's dad gave him one of the guitars. It's a special, expensive, and not easily replaceable instrument from his father's younger days. Storing that out of sight was out of the question. I realized, as I pondered solutions, that displaying the instruments was the best course of action.

I found these great guitar wall mounts and gave them as a birthday gift. I like them better than the mounts that just let the guitar hang straight down; with these I can choose the angle and customize the placement. They are a unique display that was easy to install, but looks creative and gains a lot of compliments. They are a little big for an electric guitar, but they've done just fine in our home.


3. A Reupholstered Sewing Chair

I scored my vintage sewing chair on Craigslist for ten bucks after seeing (and pining after) tons of examples online. I reupholstered it in an afternoon using a print and solid fabric combination that I bought at Jo Ann Fabrics. I also bought a new cushion to make the chair feel new. Make sure that if you reupholster any furniture, you buy decent upholstery fabric. It improves the look and durability of your project.

This has made it on the small space storage list because the blue part flips open, hiding a small, but convenient storage space. It's been a great place to hide things from fish food to a hammer to extra Glade wall plugins. It's a smaller chair, making it easier to move when I need an impromptu footstool or extra seating for guests. Overall, I like that this chair is movable, simple, and features mid-century lines. If you're living in a small space, storage within seating is a must. If you can score one of these chairs, don't pass up the opportunity.

4. An Under-Desk PC Mount

DH's computer desk is housed in our living room. He does a lot of work there, but the space for papers, binders, and things is limited, especially when he's grading. His computer takes up a lot of that space, so I looked for solutions and discovered this simple, swiveling, adjustable PC mount. It can be placed under a desk or on a wall; do whatever works best for you. I was able to mount it myself with only a screwdriver. If we ever want to move it, it will only involve unscrewing a few screws and re-mounting the PC holder.

While the reason I bought this is to create more desk space, it also keeps PC towers off the floor and allows for airflow if you computer tends to run hot. It's a simple solution that saves space and keeps DH's desk looking tidy, while also providing more space for other stuff.


5. Picture Frame Shelves as Spice Racks

I bought these picture frame shelves at Ikea for $6 each. I always hated having spices rolling around inside drawers or getting crammed into shelves, hidden behind all the other containers, so I put my spices on display.

I can fit a lot on these shelves. I like that they're narrow and sleek. They were easy to mount, just be careful to level them! If I ever tire of my spices here, I can use these ledges as intended - for art.

If ledges aren't for you, there are a lot of other spice storage alternatives, but be wary of the cost of some of these systems.

Popular Posts