Skip to main content

Featured

Simple Curb Appeal with New Outdoor Lighting

Okay, you guys, this project was on the "One day I'll get around to this" list, but I was laying in bed, putzing on my phone, and I happened to see this BRAND NEW Darby Home Dorchester Light Fixture for only $10 on Facebook Marketplace. Who can say no to saving $195?! As soon as I got up, I measured the size and messaged the seller. Out old outdoor light was fine. I guess. It was too small, not my style, and dated. Really, I wanted something pretty that would make a statement. If you're selecting a outdoor wall-mounted light fixture, pick one that is 1/3 to 1/4 of the size of your door. Yes, it will seem huge, but this is what will make your fixture pop, even from afar. Many houses I see have fixtures that look so tiny, and that is because people are trying to save money and don't measure properly. If you're not sure whether to replace a fixture yourself or hire a pro, Chelsea over at Two Twenty One goes through the general process here . When installin

Giving Our Dark Hallway a Face Lift

When it comes to home purchases, my Dad is my go-to resource for advice. He's an engineer who researches the heck out of every purchase he makes, which means I get to the reap the benefits of his expertise and scrutiny.

The perfect gray paint color is Sherwin Williams Mindful Gray

I've finally taken the plunge and am giving our maroon hallway a lighter, fresher face lift. The minute Dad said, "Go with Sherwin Williams; the cheaper brands require so many more coats of paint," I knew I wouldn't go with any other paint company. There are tons of other high-end paint companies out there, like Behr, but, when my father says Sherwin Williams, I am not about to test the waters anywhere else.

Sewing chair reupholsteredFor awhile I've been eyeing up gray paints. I have a Pinterest board full of them. My mom recommended gray after seeing the accent chair I reupholstered. The chair is a perfect pint-sized representation of our home. It was built in the 50s, has some great lines and boasts deep wood tones, but also carries calm blues, whites, grays, and tidbits of black throughout. Gray, I agreed, would maintain a calm, timeless, and bright feel, creating a welcoming contrast to my currently dark, uninviting hallway.

Choosing a paint color made me nervous. I've not yet painted a single wall in our house. The last time I helped paint a room was in middle school when my mom decided to paint her hallway a bright aqua-ish color. I read up on what other people did and tried to see as many realistic representations of grays as possible. I felt the need to research the heck out of paint, lest I spend tons of time and money on a project I end up hating. And that's why, even though I knew the red had to go, I haven't touched it for months.

Paint swatch comparisonOn Saturday we went to Sherwin Williams. I originally had five colors in mind, but ultimately bought samples of Passive, Mindful Gray, and Repose Gray. I went with light colors because our hallway is dark, even in the middle of the day. I knew whatever I chose would ultimately not be seeing sunlight.

Keep in mind that if you plan on buying Sherwin Williams paint, always look for a coupon. They have 30-40% off coupons frequently. I just showed one on my phone, which they accepted, and paid $5.90 per sample with a 30% off deal.

Anyway, I knew that, in the windowless hallway, a light color would still look pretty dim. Once I put them up on the wall, Mindful Gray was the darkest color with a hint of earthy tones. Passive had a blue undertone, and Repose Gray was Passive's slightly more yellow cousin.

Tips for paintingAlmost immediately, I decided Mindful Gray was not the one. I liked Passive the best (and ended up using it to paint my bathroom!). But, throughout the evening, I ended up liking Mindful more than the other two. Lesson learned: paint swatches all over the room and see them in different lighting before deciding on your color. If I had rushed into it, I would have made a huge mistake.

Sunday morning, I got up and started painting. The quality of Sherwin Williams showed in how thick and evenly the paint coated. I didn't need a primer over the red, which is awesome. I quickly learned to use the brush to make a 3-4 inch edge around all the moulding. Once you do that, it's so much easier to use the roller without messing anything up.

I ended up doing two coats and using one and 3/4 sample containers for our hallway, which came out to about $12 to paint my entire hallway. I love the color and how it pairs with the blues in our home. It's days like this that I absolutely cannot imagine having a larger home.

See the next hallway upgrade, new lighting, here.

Mindful Gray replaces a maroon paint color


Popular Posts