Skip to main content

Featured

Simple Curb Appeal with New Outdoor Lighting

Okay, you guys, this project was on the "One day I'll get around to this" list, but I was laying in bed, putzing on my phone, and I happened to see this BRAND NEW Darby Home Dorchester Light Fixture for only $10 on Facebook Marketplace. Who can say no to saving $195?! As soon as I got up, I measured the size and messaged the seller. Out old outdoor light was fine. I guess. It was too small, not my style, and dated. Really, I wanted something pretty that would make a statement. If you're selecting a outdoor wall-mounted light fixture, pick one that is 1/3 to 1/4 of the size of your door. Yes, it will seem huge, but this is what will make your fixture pop, even from afar. Many houses I see have fixtures that look so tiny, and that is because people are trying to save money and don't measure properly. If you're not sure whether to replace a fixture yourself or hire a pro, Chelsea over at Two Twenty One goes through the general process here . When installin

8 Reasons Small House Living Is the Right Choice (for Us)

I've reflected on how we came to buy a small house. At 902 square feet with a stone exterior, our home is more of a little cottage. There are a lot of things that I had to consider with this purchase. And there are a lot of things that my friends and family question.

I've reflected on how we came to buy a small house. At 902 square feet with a stone exterior, our home is more of a little cottage. There are a lot of things that I had to consider with this purchase. And there are a lot of things that my friends and family question about tiny house living.


Upon first seeing the house, one friend said, "It's small, but this is a great starter home," as if our stay was limited by the size. I understand why people say these things. I understand because I had that mindset for a long time. As long as we're in this home, I will never have a grand dining room table or a main-floor laundry room. My bedroom will never have a sitting area; heck, I'll never have my own desk space. When we have kids, there will only be one bedroom for them to share. What if we have two genders? Will we even be able to stay? In this house, there is only one bathroom. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Oh, I need at least two bathrooms when we buy a house," as if my one measly bathroom is incomprehensible. And that's just the start of the comments.

Why I love living in my small house.
Grading on the couch (since I have no desk)
Even though there are sacrifices when choosing a small home, there are so many reasons the house is a place I want to stay forever. I hope that, within the reasons small house living is the right choice for us, you see some reasons it may be the right choice for you.



  1. Overhead Expenses

    Overhead expenses are those guaranteed monthly bills. We all pay them, but the size of your home affects how large your overhead is. Our mortgage, taxes, and insurance combined cost less than the rent some friends pay. That leaves us money to use in other ways. Our heat and electric bills are lower than a larger space (but still more expensive than our one bedroom apartment, unfortunately). Often times, people underestimate how much a larger space impacts the cost of heat, lighting, and other utility costs. For us, the smaller overhead allows us more money to pay off student loans, eat out on a whim, and make a run to Sam's Club.

  2. Remodeling Expenses

    When I say remodeling, I'm including a fresh coat of paint, a replaced light fixture, and new kitchen knobs. I'm also including a new kitchen or bathroom. With a small home, I can save money because I inherently need less. If I ever replace the bathroom tile, I only need about 4 square feet of material. This means I can splurge on something truly beautiful, or choose a thrifty material and spend so much less. Similarly, when I replace my outdoor lights, I only need two fixtures. I'm way less concerned about a fixture costing more because I don't need duplicates. This need for less is true of furniture as well.
  3.  I Clean Less

    I am obsessed with having a tidy home, which is a must in a small space. When I clean, I have less to clean. Remember that problem my friend has with only one bathroom? Well, I only ever have to scrub one shower, unclog one toilet, and wipe one mirror. The same goes for my other spaces. I don't have miles of counters to clean or (literally) thousands of feet to mop, vacuum, or sweep.
  4. We are Together

    Our space is small, which means DH and I can't avoid each other. That's not to say we never spend time doing our own thing, but we learn to be alone together. Right now, I'm typing while he listens to a podcast and plays a video game. If I get up to make coffee, I offer him some and we chat before going back to our own things. If he suddenly wants to ask me my opinion, he can swivel his chair and I'll be there. We aren't doing something together, but the proximity means we can easily share and be one another.
  5. We Can't Have so Much Junk

    This one is simple. We do have a basement. We do have creative storage in the living spaces, such as wall-mounted guitars, which save floor space and are a cool feature that get compliments. We have this amazing Ikea couch. But we can't let random junk build up, or we'd be uncomfortable in our space.
  6. We Choose Items Wisely

    Since I only need one large rug, and no space to move it if I get tired of it, I have been shopping carefully, waiting for that one perfect one to appear. I've learned that I'd rather wait for one that I am in love with than just pick an okay one. This can be true of larger spaces, but part of my patience stems from the knowledge that this is my one and only living room to enjoy decorating.
  7. I am More Aware of What I Actually Need

    I may have enjoyed two bathrooms, but I quickly realized that I am still happy, and I only have one! I may have gushed over a large kitchen, but the small one we have functions perfectly. We feel so often like we need more space, but really, we can live with less and still feel fulfilled. People think we're lacking with a small home, but we're not.
  8. I Can Teach my Children All of These Things

    The way we live speaks to our values. I want my future children to see that a big home doesn't equal a big heart and that being together in a functional, well-designed space, can be better than a massive, lonely house.

Popular Posts