Skip to main content

Featured

Simple Curb Appeal with New Outdoor Lighting

Okay, you guys, this project was on the "One day I'll get around to this" list, but I was laying in bed, putzing on my phone, and I happened to see this BRAND NEW Darby Home Dorchester Light Fixture for only $10 on Facebook Marketplace. Who can say no to saving $195?! As soon as I got up, I measured the size and messaged the seller. Out old outdoor light was fine. I guess. It was too small, not my style, and dated. Really, I wanted something pretty that would make a statement. If you're selecting a outdoor wall-mounted light fixture, pick one that is 1/3 to 1/4 of the size of your door. Yes, it will seem huge, but this is what will make your fixture pop, even from afar. Many houses I see have fixtures that look so tiny, and that is because people are trying to save money and don't measure properly. If you're not sure whether to replace a fixture yourself or hire a pro, Chelsea over at Two Twenty One goes through the general process here . When installin

The Only Effective, Eco-Friendly Way I Clean my Tub

When we first bought the house, the shower was gross. It had been a rental and looked like past tenants had an aversion to scrubbing. There was a nasty ring and streaks all over the tub. The caulk was dark in most places, even through the original color was clearly white. I researched so many cleaning ideas. I tried bleach, I tried many spray cleaners, I tried regular old scrubbing. It wasn't until I found Bon Ami that my tub problems were solved.

I wish I had original pictures, but I don't, so here's our grimy tub mid-cleaning process after a long stint of no cleaning, including a particularly muddy dog park run.

After Bon Ami (left) versus before Bon Ami (right)

Bon Ami is an eco-friendly, toxin-free, inexpensive powder. You sprinkle it on a damp sponge or directly on the dirty surface. Then, if you haven't yet, dampen the sponge, and scrub. It's that simple.

If you're looking for a reusable, washer-friendly sponge, try out the Amala Magic sponge cloth. I use it for everything.


The powder is abrasive, yet gentle, which keeps surfaces safe while providing great scrubbing action. It works well on all my porcelain surfaces. I mainly use it for the tub and kitchen sink. While Bon Ami requires some elbow grease, it works pretty quickly.

After scrubbing with Bon Ami

If you're in need of a solution and are tired of spending money on products that don't work, pick up some Bon Ami. Right now Amazon is selling a pack of 6 for $14.29. You won't be disappointed by this stuff.


Having a clean tub is essential to a relaxing bathroom. For other ways I improved our small bath, check out the $6 upgrade I did.

Popular Posts