Skip to main content

Featured

Simple Curb Appeal with New Outdoor Lighting

Okay, you guys, this project was on the "One day I'll get around to this" list, but I was laying in bed, putzing on my phone, and I happened to see this BRAND NEW Darby Home Dorchester Light Fixture for only $10 on Facebook Marketplace. Who can say no to saving $195?! As soon as I got up, I measured the size and messaged the seller. Out old outdoor light was fine. I guess. It was too small, not my style, and dated. Really, I wanted something pretty that would make a statement. If you're selecting a outdoor wall-mounted light fixture, pick one that is 1/3 to 1/4 of the size of your door. Yes, it will seem huge, but this is what will make your fixture pop, even from afar. Many houses I see have fixtures that look so tiny, and that is because people are trying to save money and don't measure properly. If you're not sure whether to replace a fixture yourself or hire a pro, Chelsea over at Two Twenty One goes through the general process here . When installin

A $6 Upgrade Transformed my Tiny Bathroom (and Other Improvements I've Made Along the Way)

I went on a painting spree. After cautiously deciding to repaint my hallway, I had a few paint samples left over. I knew one sample would be enough to paint my small bathroom, which, at the time, was a gross-looking brown. My friend described it as poop-colored. Lovely, I know, but she was right. The greenish-brown was horrendous.

I had been struggling to decide on a bathroom paint color for awhile now. I like very light blues as well as gray, but, with a gray hallway, I wasn't sure that would work in the bathroom. I was also worried that, if I picked the wrong blue, it would look more like a baby's room than a serene bathroom. I wanted something timeless and classic. So, when I realized that I had already bought a gray paint sample that has a hint of blue in it, I decided it was the best choice. And that's how my bathroom paint choice became Sherwin William's Passive.

Bathroom paint color selection
Repose Gray (left) vs. Passive (right)

I read up on painting bathrooms awhile ago. There are other things you need to keep in mind beyond picking paint colors. There were some ruined walls when people didn't wait for the paint to cure. Other people waited DAYS to use their bathrooms after painting, but this is the only one we have. There is no way I'm avoiding the shower for three days. What I ended up doing was painting in the winter, when air is dry in Wisconsin, running the fan during and after my shower, and showering with the door open for the first 48 hours. I also painted one thin coat, waited a few days, then applied the second (and final) coat. That way the paint wasn't so thick, which meant less drying time.


Before

I am really happy with how the color looks alongside our white bead board. The colors are perfect for our small stone home's vibe. The bathroom is now gentle, relaxing, and calm. The lighter color makes it feel brighter and bigger compared to the previous paint color. The fresh color, along with the vanity mirror, soap pump, and towel bars, which I purchased when we first moved in, have improved our bathroom so much. Without shelling out for a new tub or other large fixture, I have been able to totally refresh the bathroom.

After

Here's the cost breakdown since we've moved in:

Sherwin William's Passive sample (after 30% off coupon): $5.90
Privacy Window Film: $9.99
Vanity Mirror: $20 like-new on Craigslist
Toilet paper holder: $23.99
Wall-mounted soap dispenser: $19.98
2 towel bars: $27.90 ($13.95 each)
Wall-mounted shelf: $36.99
3 wall hooks (arriving soon!): $31.38 ($10.46 each)
Shower head with adjustable arm: $39.95

Total spent: $216.08


Less than $250 to redo my bathroom


While I didn't anticipate spending $200 on accessories and details when I first bought my home, I'm glad I did. By making purchases over the course of many months, it wasn't much of a hit to my budget and allowed me to shop around for a long time. I still want to buy a light fixture, which will probably bring my total bathroom makeover to around $350 over the course of a year.


Rationale for Purchasing Some Expensive Items (and Issues you Should Consider)

  1. A Toilet Paper Holder
    (Moen Y2608CH Banbury Pivoting Paper Holder, Chrome)

    The toilet paper holder that originally came with the house fell off the wall regularly. The situation was near comical. It wasn't working. I'm lucky I didn't lose entire rolls of toilet paper this way. Replacing the toilet paper holder was a must, but I spent a little more on a chrome finish and, more importantly, a toilet paper holder that has a pivoting bar. Rather than popping out the spring loaded bar, this guy just lifts and lets you slide the roll on. It's a small pleasure, but it was totally worth it to have a permanent upgrade. It's all about the little things.

  2. A Wall-Mounted Soap Dispenser
    (Comfort's Home N16510, Bathroom Wall Mount Lotion Dispenser, Chrome)

    We had plastic soap dispensers on our sink for the first month or two, but they just didn't fit well on our pedestal sink. I saw this purchase as another permanent upgrade that keeps soap scum and clutter off the sink while also creating a more elegant feel in our bathroom. Not only does it look nicer, but it means I buy all of my soap in bulk now, which tends to equal a better price per ounce and means that I'm not paying for a new plastic bottle as part of my soap purchases anymore.

  3. The Wall Hooks
    (Franklin Brass 125861 Crestfield, Bath Hardware Accessory, Double Robe Hook, Polished Chrome)

    The hooks I bought are not pictured, as I haven't received them yet! I purchased these at a premium simply for the look. I don't need my fixtures to be matchy-matchy, but I do want them to look cohesive. The design of these wall hooks goes well with my towel bars and soap dispenser. I also like that they hide the hardware and have two hooks per item. To me, bringing everything together and preventing a disjointed look is worth the extra cost. It's nice for us now, but a more sophisticated bathroom will also help keep our home value high.

  4. The Shower Head
    (Charlotte Shower Head with Adjustable Arm, Chrome)

    Our house was built in the 50s, which isn't terribly old, but it's old enough that the shower head hung pretty low. I'm short, so it doesn't bother me so much, but DH would be hitting his head on the thing if we didn't find a way to raise the height of the shower head. Knowing we needed a replacement, I wanted to find a shower head that was water-efficient, looked great, had an adjustable arm, wouldn't rust, wasn't plastic (as those tend to break over time), and had nice pressure. This shower head met all of those needs and hasn't let us down.


In the end, the $6 I spent on paint was what really changed our bathroom from ick to upgraded. The other features I've invested in really help add those perfect details, but they only stand out because of the fresh paint, which brings it all together.


Popular Posts