Skip to main content

Featured

Simple Curb Appeal with New Outdoor Lighting

Okay, you guys, this project was on the "One day I'll get around to this" list, but I was laying in bed, putzing on my phone, and I happened to see this BRAND NEW Darby Home Dorchester Light Fixture for only $10 on Facebook Marketplace. Who can say no to saving $195?! As soon as I got up, I measured the size and messaged the seller. Out old outdoor light was fine. I guess. It was too small, not my style, and dated. Really, I wanted something pretty that would make a statement. If you're selecting a outdoor wall-mounted light fixture, pick one that is 1/3 to 1/4 of the size of your door. Yes, it will seem huge, but this is what will make your fixture pop, even from afar. Many houses I see have fixtures that look so tiny, and that is because people are trying to save money and don't measure properly. If you're not sure whether to replace a fixture yourself or hire a pro, Chelsea over at Two Twenty One goes through the general process here . When installin

Five Friday Finds: Small Space Style Edition

I love home design. Seeing cool pieces makes me swoon. Since our home is small, style can't take precedent over utility. This roundup features small space items that have quality along with design elements I can't get enough of.


Keep in mind that I post links from where I purchased items or where I have found the cheapest price; however, we all know that prices change, so do your research and find a great deal.

1. Simple Human Dual Recycling and Trash Can

Great Small Space Style Solutions for the Home

When we first moved in, we had a step can with a broken step mechanism. The bag always fell in and recycling got piled in a bag next to the can. It was a disorganized, unattractive mess. When I first started looking for a replacement, I wanted a motion-sensor trash and recycling bin for my kitchen, but I couldn't find one that had good reviews, was long-lasting, and was attractive. A lot of people like the Nine Stars one, but I know someone with one and it is constantly malfunctioning. Instead of a motion-sensor, I ended up with a touch-top trash can, which works wonderfully, is easy to clean, and has a sleek appearance. I get tons of compliments on this Simple Human trash can. Even DH admitted it's pretty nice, although he nearly had a heart attack when he discovered the price.

I like the size of this trash can, too. It's slim enough to fit in our narrow kitchen, but it also holds plenty of garbage and recycling items. In an effort to keep the Earth alive a bit longer, I use biodegradable trash bags in the trash side. For recycling, I stick with Sam's club garbage bags.

Should everyone pay $170 for a trash can? Probably not. Is that a bit outrageous? Definitely. Do I really think it's worth it? Absolutely.

This thing is pricey, but I have no regrets.

2. Touchless Stainless Steel Trash Can

Touchless trash can idea for the bedroom or bathroomPepper, our Schnoodle, loves to dig through the trash. He's the opportunistic type. If we're home, he'll hang with us, but the second we leave and he gets bored, he's in the bathroom or bedroom garbage. It's disgusting. I wanted to be able to leave our bedroom open, both for the cat and our PowerBot, (and let's be honest, I forget to close the doors) so I invested in the iTouchless trash can.

It fits in snug spaces or even on a counter top, as I've seen some reviewers do. It can be battery powered or plugged in. I found an old plug that fit the can, but eventually invested in rechargeable batteries for the cordless look.

This small garbage can is reliable, can be filled using grocery bags, and hides the bags (using a removable rim) for a clean look. The bin is stainless steel and the lid is a silvery plastic, which looks nice. We really like it and Pepper doesn't even try to get near this garbage can. I will probably buy a second one for the bathroom.

Keep in mind that I spent about $30 on this. I've seen the price fluctuate a lot, so buy wisely.


3. Wall-Mounted Soap Dispenser

Our sink is a small pedestal, snuggled between the shower and the bathroom door. There's no counter space, not even a place to put a shelf. Soap dispensers that sit on the sink were in the way of the sink handles, so I went with a wall-mounted dispenser during my hunt for bathroom improvements. The picture below is before my great new coat of Sherwin William's Passive was applied. Despite the gross paint, the soap dispenser is lovely.

Small space style for the bathroom

I love the details on this mount. Everything that looks chrome is metal, not plastic. The jar is a frosted glass. It looks classy, is well built, and works well. The mounting material is solid and has held up thus far.

So far, my favorite soap is Mrs. Meyer's Basil, which can be bought in a refill size of 33 ounces. I wish it came by the gallon, but I'll take what I can get.


4. Zinus 12 Inch Deluxe Wood Platform Bed

This bed frame is high on my wish list. We currently have our mattress living atop a box spring, which is lying on the floor. Not so classy.

Zinus deluxe wood platform bed for small spacesWhile I haven't taken the plunge, I have scoured the internet looking for a compact frame that allows me to navigate past our dresser. Our bedroom is very small, so even a few inches makes a big impact when it comes to the length of a frame. We also have a window above our bed, so I need to be wary of the frame height.

The Zinus frame is far and away the most compact frame I have found. It beats out Ikea as well as more expensive brands if you're looking to save space. The $150 price tag is also a win.

Based on reviews, the wood looks rich and comes in multiple finishes, the frame is sturdy, and it looks nice. I have also found that many under-bed storage solutions will fit beneath this frame.

Be aware that it doesn't come with pre-drilled holes for a head or foot board. That's fine with me, as I have an alternative solution for a headboard, but it may deter others.


5. Antique Drop-Leaf or Gate Leg Table

When I was young, we had a gate leg table in my parent's foyer. It housed gloves and keys and Christmas decor. When I was a teen, the table was replaced with a bench and banished to the basement. It collected dust and cobwebs. I moved out, worked four different jobs, met DH, and bought a house while this table housed boxes and old toys in a dark corner.


Once we started to get our living room in order, I remembered my dad's gate leg table. At first, he didn't want to part with it. He bought it in a Santa Cruz antique store in the 70s or 80s. It was his desk, his dining room table, and an integral part of his young adult life. This table lived in California and Louisiana before traveling all over Wisconsin.

Months later, he called me up and relinquished the table, but only on the promise that if I ever decided to get rid of it, I would give it back. Dad delivered the table, which is perfect for our modern meets antique meets a smorgasbord of style details. We're still organizing the space, but the table is definitely what I was looking for.

Lemon oil before and after gate leg table
One coat of lemon oil (left) versus no lemon oil (right)

So far, I've given it two coats of lemon oil, which is a must for old, dry wood. It still needs some love and a set of chairs, but this table is a small-space treasure. It folds up quickly, moves easily, and is versatile in a home with no dining room. We can seat five or six people around the table, or fold it up and leave it in a corner. The scale of the table keeps our space from feeling full or claustrophobic, since we don't need a giant table all the time, but can access it when needed.

If you're shopping for a drop-leaf table, Apartment Therapy has a nice roundup, although I like the idea of scouring Craigslist or antique shops in your area.

Antique drop leaf table

Popular Posts