Skip to main content

Featured

Simple Curb Appeal with New Outdoor Lighting

Okay, you guys, this project was on the "One day I'll get around to this" list, but I was laying in bed, putzing on my phone, and I happened to see this BRAND NEW Darby Home Dorchester Light Fixture for only $10 on Facebook Marketplace. Who can say no to saving $195?! As soon as I got up, I measured the size and messaged the seller. Out old outdoor light was fine. I guess. It was too small, not my style, and dated. Really, I wanted something pretty that would make a statement. If you're selecting a outdoor wall-mounted light fixture, pick one that is 1/3 to 1/4 of the size of your door. Yes, it will seem huge, but this is what will make your fixture pop, even from afar. Many houses I see have fixtures that look so tiny, and that is because people are trying to save money and don't measure properly. If you're not sure whether to replace a fixture yourself or hire a pro, Chelsea over at Two Twenty One goes through the general process here . When installin

Installing Raised Garden Beds in an Awkward Backyard Space: Part I

We have this terribly awkward space between our house and garage. It's maybe 12 feet wide, and completely separate from the rest of the backyard. The space is akin to a side yard... but it's not.

Small space raised garden beds
Before Raised Beds

Since we bought the house, I've been wondering what to do with the area. The previous owners had a fire pit (yikes!), which we relocated to the main backyard space. In general, the area was just junky-looking. The problems I had to manage were:
  • It's an annoyance to try and mow.
    Pulling nettles to prepare for a raised garden bed
    The nettles I pulled last year from the 12x22 foot space.
  • The weeds seem the thrive, while the grass struggles.
  • Large living room windows have a view of the space.
  • Making the space use-able.
What I decided we needed was:
  • Little to no grass, but still maintain greenery (think flowers!)
  • Something utilitarian, but fun.
  • A way to make the space flow with the rest of the yard and home, knowing that it is still a separate nook.
After considering a flower-filled walkway, raised garden beds, a small seating nook, naturalized gardens, a completely paved or rock area, and who-knows-what-else, we finally landed on the raised garden bed idea.

So, I started measuring, shopping, and thinking layouts. If you're going to put raised beds in your yard, be sure to measure the space you're filling, and also measure out the size of the beds themselves. Even if you have a large yard, giving yourself a visual of how big or small the beds will realistically be is very important. When measuring, keep in mind any walking areas you may want to maintain or add to your space.

For me, measuring comes first. It helps me envision the best layout. I spent a long time agonizing over the size and placement of the beds, as well as the material to use around them. Our home is made of stone and cinder block, so we vetoed a rockscape. I considered rubber mulch, but it has some downsides, including the fact that it still decomposes, smells like tires, and may be unhealthy for plants long-term. Because of this, we decided that regular wood bark mulch would do. Mulch made with bark comes in larger pieces, which are lest likely to become windswept and take longer to decompose.

We also considered beds lining the side of the garage, versus placing them in the middle of the area. The middle placement won out, as it allows me to walk around the beds more easily and gives plants more opportunity for sunshine. Not only are there practical reasons, but centering the beds make them the focus of the area, not the walkway.

Lastly, I had to decide on beds and material. I wanted a composite or plastic bed, as they don't rot or rust, and they require less upkeep in general. If you want to be a lazy gardener, go with these materials. I also wanted high sides on my beds. Beds only raised 7 or 8 inches do not appeal to me. I want height, which lets me lean over a whole lot less. I scoured the internet, and decided upon the NuVue 48x48x15" beds. These 4'x4' beds are an excellent height and look great. I actually bought mine on Groupon, so search for those deals, although Amazon was a close second in price.

After making the big decisions, I went ahead and grabbed my landscaping fabric and staples. I really like Scotts landscaping fabric. It is strong and durable.

Preparing the yard for raised beds
Prepping the space for raised beds

While I waited for the beds to arrive, I began cleaning up and laying fabric. This layer is important before mulching (or adding rocks, if that's your thing). The landscape fabric helps kill off the grass and weeds, and it creates a barrier that helps keep them out. Keep in mind that weeds can still grow in shallow areas, even amongst rocks or mulch, but the fabric will limit the weeds you end up dealing with.

When laying landscape fabric, keep the wind and the hardiness of plants in mind. You'll want to overlap the edges and staple them down that way, which prevents grass and weeds from peaking through.

I hadn't finished laying fabric when the beds arrived, but I did enough! I was impatient and put the beds together right away. As you can see, the uneven ground made the first bed look out of whack.

Putting raised garden beds in a small yard
Placing raised garden beds (In progress)
To see the rest of my process and the final product, click here to head over to Part II of the garden bed saga.

Popular Posts