Skip to main content

Featured

Simple Curb Appeal with New Outdoor Lighting

Okay, you guys, this project was on the "One day I'll get around to this" list, but I was laying in bed, putzing on my phone, and I happened to see this BRAND NEW Darby Home Dorchester Light Fixture for only $10 on Facebook Marketplace. Who can say no to saving $195?! As soon as I got up, I measured the size and messaged the seller. Out old outdoor light was fine. I guess. It was too small, not my style, and dated. Really, I wanted something pretty that would make a statement. If you're selecting a outdoor wall-mounted light fixture, pick one that is 1/3 to 1/4 of the size of your door. Yes, it will seem huge, but this is what will make your fixture pop, even from afar. Many houses I see have fixtures that look so tiny, and that is because people are trying to save money and don't measure properly. If you're not sure whether to replace a fixture yourself or hire a pro, Chelsea over at Two Twenty One goes through the general process here . When installin

The Perfect Dinnerware Set for a Small, Eclectic Cottage

When I first started writing this post, I was swooning over beautiful, but expensive dinnerware sets. I relentlessly searched for something classic and whimsical, yet modern. I wanted a splash of color that could remain timeless and sophisticated. I read up on the differences between bone china and porcelain. I contemplated shapes, sizes, textures, and sheen.

Sophisticated Plates and Bowls

Then I took a break. Searching online was a start, but I needed to feel the weight of a dish in my hands and explore the colors in person. I put the project aside, figuring that when summer break rolled around, I could resume my hunt for the perfect dishes.

Blue dinnerwareAs luck would have it, I was able to get into the IKEA Oak Creek Sneak Preview on May 12th. Dishes were a maybe on my list, although nothing on IKEA's website made my heart sing. As I wandered through the depths of IKEA with DH and my sister, we inevitably entered the kitchen and tableware domain. I asked DH, who usually avoids design and decor choices, if he liked anything. He liked some of the more modern designs, but I wasn't into the square dishes. I liked the shape of the 365+ bowls, but he didn't want all white. Online, the DINERA and KRUSTAD sets didn't impress me, but, somehow, we came to look at the two together. The matte grey-blue of the DINERA plates with the light, patterned KRUSTAD bowls was pretty and unique while feeling sophisticated in a simple way.

The bowls are $4.99 each and the plates came out to $2.50-$3.00 each. A 24-piece set adds up to $85.88. It's not the cheapest set, especially when you can pick up the 18-piece FLITIGHET for $19.99, but the gradient of the medium matte blue, light blue, and, white teacups is a look I couldn't pass up.

I'm glad I didn't purchase my dishes online. Even looking at my pictures now, I'm not as impressed as I am with the dishes in person. Seeing and feeling the weight, texture, and finish is what sold me on the set we created. If you're searching for a dish set, do your due diligence and stop by a few stores. Seeing the dishes in person may change the way you think about them.

Unique, Modern Dinnerware from IKEA

Popular Posts