Skip to main content

Featured

Simple Curb Appeal with New Outdoor Lighting

Okay, you guys, this project was on the "One day I'll get around to this" list, but I was laying in bed, putzing on my phone, and I happened to see this BRAND NEW Darby Home Dorchester Light Fixture for only $10 on Facebook Marketplace. Who can say no to saving $195?! As soon as I got up, I measured the size and messaged the seller. Out old outdoor light was fine. I guess. It was too small, not my style, and dated. Really, I wanted something pretty that would make a statement. If you're selecting a outdoor wall-mounted light fixture, pick one that is 1/3 to 1/4 of the size of your door. Yes, it will seem huge, but this is what will make your fixture pop, even from afar. Many houses I see have fixtures that look so tiny, and that is because people are trying to save money and don't measure properly. If you're not sure whether to replace a fixture yourself or hire a pro, Chelsea over at Two Twenty One goes through the general process here . When installin

Five Friday Finds: Fun Home Purchases


We've never lived anywhere large, but since buying a small home, I know I need to live a more minimal lifestyle. I need to focus less on having things that take up unnecessary space. And that is why I have a confession to make.

I love to shop. I love admiring beautiful spaces full of trinkets and treasures. You know that cave full of "whose-its and whats-its galore" in The Little Mermaid? That's how I feel about having things. So, in an effort to curb my spending, I am going to start my digital collection of Five Friday Finds. This is a space to share five awesome things that I either own (and adore) or want (and admire from afar).

Five Friday Finds

Now I know an anthology of my wish list items isn't going to make me less of a shopper, but I do hope it makes me think more critically about what I do and don't purchase. And, along the way, I hope I can share with you some pretty neat and nifty stuff I've happened upon each week. So rather than amassing so many items and tidbits, lets think more carefully about what things we let into our spaces and whether they deserve to take up space in our homes.

1. Samsung POWERbot R7040

Samsung POWERbot ReviewI've owned one of these for a few months now, and I am in love. Before I get to why I cannot imagine life without my robotic vacuum, I have to let you in on something: DH and I are not actually husband and wife. We're just some crazy kids who, after six years together, bought a house. And what does that have to do with the POWERbot? Well, after six years, you get to know each other's habits. My habits involve being tidy and a bit of a neat freak. DH is all for organization, but he's not about to dust the baseboards or, as he puts it, "clean something that I didn't make dirty in the first place." This combo used to cause a cycle like so:

Me: Walks in the door, sees the dishes on the counter. AGAIN. Sees not-perfect floor. AGAIN. Sees the toilet needs to be scrubbed. AGAIN. Sees DH staring at the computer screen, not even noticing the cleaning that needs to happen.

DH: Any thoughts on dinner?

Me: Goes into cleaning frenzy, annoyed that I just got home from work and have so much to do.

DH: I'll help with that after dinner. Just leave it.

Me: Freaks out and gets cranky because I'm always cleaning everything and no one else helps.

A bit irrational, but it was happening.

I know vacuuming 900 square feet isn't all that terrible, but having 900 square feet vacuumed while I'm at work every day is fucking amazing. I come home and my floors are pristine. Sure, I need to whip out the Bona when the dogs get muddy, but the gunk and tidbits of dirt no longer accumulate on the floor. Things don't stick to my feet. Dust doesn't gather in the corners. It's one less chore and much more time for other things.

Along with the clean floors, having the POWERbot also encourages us both to stay tidy. If there are things strewn around, we have to pick them up daily so they don't get caught by the vacuum. It makes my home feel so much cleaner, but doesn't require much from me. I also love that there are power-saving options and that the filter is washable. I throw it in the laundry weekly. It's simple, eco-friendly, and cost-effective.

2. The Dutchwax Floral Quilt by Threshold, found at Target

The Dutchwax Floral Quilt by ThresholdWhen I first got a career-oriented job after graduating with my Bachelor's, I wanted to update my bedding. I searched the depths of the internet for the perfect summer quilt. I wanted it to be pretty and durable and something I could live with for a long time. When I happened upon this option at Target, I was shopping online. I didn't know if it would match the colors or feel in person. I Googled up a storm, looking for customer pictures before I took the plunge. Let me tell you, this blanket is GORGEOUS in person. I get so many compliments on it. I love it so much, I have contemplated buying a backup for when this one dies. If Target stops selling these quilts and I need one, I will be truly disappointed.

If you like warm, gentle florals, this quilt is it.


3. Phillips Hue Products

Phillips Hue Bridge
I really want my entire home to be lit by the Hue system. First off, voice-control and automation is involved, so they've got me right there. I am psyched by the idea of my lights automatically doing what I need them to do, without me lifting a finger. What's more is that a whole system can be orchestrated to match your lifestyle to a T. This is great for energy-efficiency, safety, and convenience.

Beyond these outstanding features, Hue lights allow users to select color temperature, something that seems small, but can really set the tone of a room. (Unfortunately, it took me years to learn that one should actually look at the color temperature of a bulb).

EDIT: I did not end up going with the hue system. Instead, I opted for the Lutron Caseta Smart Switches, and here's why.

4. Peonies

Fresh cut magenta peoniesThese peonies were cuttings from a beautiful bush that sat outside our living room window in our last apartment. They smelled lovely and were absolutely gorgeous every summer. My mom has some peonies she swears she'll divide for me this summer, and I can't wait.

Peonies come in many shades. My mom's are a soft, light pink, which are very pretty as well. Personally, I love how vibrant these magenta ones are.

If you're ever looking for some stunning, low-maintenance perennials, do yourself a favor and get some of these beauties. I think the picture speaks for itself.

5. Giant Jenga

Play Giant Jenga with a group of family or friends
Image by Alan Light
I have played this game at a fun Milwaukee-area bar called Mary's Beercade. There are tons of games you can play for free there. Giant Jenga works well for a group of two to five players, although we had more present who were chatting and watching the shenanigans. I really want a Giant Jenga set so we can play on the patio during the summer. The size alone makes the game silly, and it's not too intense for those who aren't big gamers.

On a side note, I lost. Twice. I'm terrible at Jenga, but it is still a lot of fun while hanging with family or friends.

Popular Posts